Local laws

Gavel resting on top of a textbook

Our local laws

You can find some of our more common local laws listed below. For the full list download the General Local Law (PDF, 176KB).

The Local Government Act 1989 (Vic) give us the power to create and enforce local laws in response to issues and community needs in Brimbank. 

We operate under General Local Law 2018. This local law’s objectives are to provide for:

  • administration of our powers and functions
  • protection, safe and fair use and enjoyment of our property
  • safe and fair use of streets, roads and footpaths
  • protection, maintenance and enhancement of the municipality’s amenity to a standard that meets general expectations of our community
  • keeping and control of animals, on land and on our property
  • uniform and fair administration and enforcement of this Local Law.

Asbestos removal and transport

A person other than an experienced asbestos removalist must not remove material from a residential premises that contains or is liable to contain asbestos unless:

  • The asbestos is non-friable, not more than 10 square metres in area and its removal does not take longer than one hour in any seven day period
  • All reasonable precautions are taken, including wetting down of the material immediately prior to its removal and keeping it wet until it is wrapped in plastic, sealed and clearly labelled to indicate the presence of asbestos
  • The material is transported and disposed of in accordance with the requirements of the Environment Protection (Prescribed Waste) Regulations 1998.

For further information regarding asbestos see:


A person must not camp on Council property or in a public place in a tent, caravan or other temporary makeshift structure without a permit.


An owner or occupier of residential land must not cause or allow any chimney to discharge dust, grit, ash or smoke to such an extent that in the opinion of an authorised officer, it may endanger the health of or is offensive to another person.

Condition of land

An owner or occupier of land must keep that land, and anything on that land:

  • In a manner that is not unsightly
  • In a manner from which trees, plants or other things overhang any road at a height of not less than 3 metres
  • In a manner that is not a haven for snakes, vermin, weeds or insects
  • Free of rubbish, disused excavation, waste material, machinery or derelict vehicles
  • In a manner which is not dangerous or likely to cause danger to life.
  • An owner of vacant land must keep grass, weeds, and undergrowth on that land at a height below 150mm.

Discharge to drains

A person must not deposit or allow any substance, other than storm water, to enter any drain under the control of Council.


You can visit our Report It  page for more information about how to make a graffiti complaint. 

Hooning and behaviour involving vehicles

A person must not participate in, encourage, or attend a hoon event without lawful excuse. The driver of a motor vehicle must not stop or park in close proximity to a hoon event without lawful excuse.


A person must not consume liquor or have in their possession an opened container of liquor on Council property or in a public place. Council may designate and signpost areas in which the consumption of liquor is permitted during specified hours or between sunrise and sunset.


Police are best placed to respond to domestic noise complaints such as loud music at parties or issues where the noisy neighbour might also be threatening.

  • See our Report It page for noise complaints including noise from industry, road traffic, power tools, electrical equipment.
  • See the EPA's Noise Fact Sheet for prohibited times (such as for mowers, or construction in a residential area).

Numbering of premises

An owner or occupier of premises must display the number of the premises as allocated by Council so that it can be readily seen from the road at all times.

Safety around schools

It's an offence to:

  • Double park by stopping next to a legally parked vehicle - even for a short time or to drop off or pick up passengers.
  • Stop or park across a driveway, footpath or dividing strip, except when picking up or dropping off passengers.
  • Stop or park within 10 metres of an intersection or corner that doesn’t have traffic lights.
  • Stop in, or park across, a bus zone.

Street parties, circuses, festivals, filming, or events

A person must not organise or conduct a street party, circus, festival or event on Council property without a permit. Find more information on: 

Last updated: 24 January 2024 - 2:27pm