Accommodation premises

Breakfast tray on hotel bed

If you are thinking of opening, buying, or selling an accommodation business you will need to register with us. This includes:

  • bed and breakfasts
  • motels or
  • boarding houses.

Once you have obtained all necessary permits from our Building, Planning and Environmental Health departments you can submit your application for registration under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. Your application must include:

Prescribed accommodation 

Prescribed accommodation is an accommodation business that can be a:

  • bed and breakfast establishment
  • motel
  • boarding or rooming house.

These businesses must be registered with our Environmental Health Department.

All enquiries, including setting up or buying a prescribed accommodation or rooming house business should be referred to our Environmental Health team for an investigation.

We check whether the premises are registered with us as operating prescribed accommodation. Then our team can advise you of any other requirements such planning and/or building) before your registration can be completed.

Our Environmental Health department is responsible for and/or coordinates with City Planning and Building inspections of premises. They also provide information to the public and business operators relating to prescribed accommodation.

Contact us

For referrals to our Environmental Health department, please contact Customer Service on 03 9249 4000.

Last updated: 30 January 2024 - 10:22pm